5.18.2010

///AURAL TENDENCIES///

I often have the, perhaps, odd tendency to listen to tracks & not pay attention to lyrics. Rather, I listen to the song itself as a whole; the fusion of the instrumentals & vocals; the combination of sounds that infiltrate my [COCHLEA].

I landed in Manila a mere few hours ago, iPod fresh out of battery & the first CD I saw on the entertainment center shelf was The Strokes debut album Is This It. Playing it from the very beginning I found myself remembering & singing along to the lyrics of each & every track. Then I wondered, do I listen to & memorize the lyrics to every song without even realizing it? Apparently so.

Though 'tis a strange & surprising new fact to me as I seem to know song lyrics subconsciously yet never actually sit back & ponder the meaning of what I'm hearing. The Strokes second single Last Nite comes on & I proceed to sing along with no mistakes. I light a cigarette to it [as is tradition for me to do with any song I happen to adore]. & for the first time ever, since the song first came out in 2002 I believe, it dawns on me how relevant the words are
to me, my life.

...

Well I've been in town for just now 15 whole minutes now/
"Oh baby I feel so down/
& I don't know why/
I keep walkin' for miles"/

See people they don't understand/
No girlfriends they can't understand/
Your grandsons they won't understand/
On top of this I ain't ever gonna understand/

...


No comments:

Post a Comment