2.09.2011

///LILIES///

Perhaps it is strange that I really rather enjoyed this film, I dunno. My old online profiles would often list under Film Interests: those that are fucked up &/or subtitled. This is still true. I adore a film that can leave me in tears due to being uncannily relevant to my own odd miseries, or one that leaves me more depressed than I was to begin with; films with unhappy endings. As for subtitles, there is a natural novel charm that comes with anything foreign & requires more attention to be paid than normal. I can't space out & stare blankly at the screen if I've subtitles that need reading in order to follow the story. Water Lilies is endearing in its simplicity & French, alluring in its minimal dialogue & moving expression of character. Not to mention the protagonist reminding me of Freja, I suppose in semblance & sexuality alike.




















Screenshots from Water Lilies

1 comment:

  1. yup, fucked-up and/or subtitled will work...
    Recent favorites: Vibrator (sad and warm), Sex Machine (ah, foolish title - really quirky) Tattooed Flower Vase (classic pink sadness) (all Japan), Days of Being Wild (melancholic, HK), Head-on (Deutsch-Tuerkisch - you might really dig that one), Lola Rennt (German, yet pretty unsquare), Thirst (gory sexy fun, Korean)... all just one netflix click away...

    ReplyDelete