7.20.2011

///HOMBRE///

September 2009 saw me with a quarter-shaved head in the style of Alice Dellal. & who was to guess that 85% of the Earth's female population was to catch on as well & shave anywhere between a quarter to an entire half of their head of hair off? A fun-for-a-while but should-now-go-back-to-strictly-punk trend that no one except Alice herself should be sporting anymore. So Cassie, you fucked up & you got a long way 2 go.

In March 2010 I wanted a hairstyle akin to Alexa Chung's. However, the following month my hair was chopped, dyed, & waved by some amateur hairstylist at a deceivingly trendy new salon & it ended up looking like M.I.A.'s (then (tragic)) hairstyle: not at all what I wanted. I popped more Valiums & gargled more liquor than usual over the next few months till that shit grew out, thus needing substance rehabilitation, so I went to rehab.

& when I got back in September 2010 I went (what is now popularly known as) "ombre." Which, if I'd seen it nine years previous, would've been inspired by Selma Blair's dip-dyed hair in the 2001 film Kill Me Later (rather than Rumi Neely of the 2008 blog fashiontoast).

Over a year later, now in July 2011, Alexa Chung's hairstyle is back to haunt me & I swear I will get it right this time!
My hair isn't actually cut like this yet but it will be very soon! These are just the top shorter layers,
the ones beneath are much longer but they're pulled back for these pics.
God I haven't listened to M.I.A. in much too long. Her existence in my memory faded completely when she started performing while pregnant. That was just an oddly disturbing sight considering her choice of non-maternal wear. Listening to M.I.A. brings back memories of salt & peppering my mangoes & shooting, spitting out the window. No but really, M.I.A. I think brings me back to the days when Cory Kennedy was cool & girls dressed really fucking out of it: mis-matching colors & patterns to a fault, lassoing themselves with ten or more assorted chunky chains, & then the (terrycloth) cherry on top: the sweat headband. Yes, I was one of those girls. I went to Fluxxe & I fluxxed the fuck out, sedated & dissociated, from Absinth to 32nd Street & back to wonderland over & over again.

2 comments: