7.29.2011

///INSTANT///

I'm going to try this new thing called delayed gratification. Most people these days probably aren't very familiar with it (thanks to the instant nature of evolved technology), but I believe it is indeed a very beneficial trait to have. After all, most people won't always have the luxury of getting everything they want whenever they want. It is good to earn rewards, as opposed to just getting them the moment you ask. It can be good to be told/tell yourself "no" sometimes.
Well, all this only actually dawned on me now to be honest, but I have officially been converted!

Every time I want to speed while driving, I will wait two seconds & see if I really need to.
Every time I want to throw an angry tantrum, I will wait two minutes & see if I'm still angry.
Every time I want to eat in between meals, I will wait two hours & see if I'm still hungry.
Every time I feel the irrational urge to go on Facebook, I will wait two days & see if it's faded.
Every time I want to buy something unnecessary*, I will wait two weeks & see if I still like it.
Every time I want to change majors, I will wait two months & see if I still want to.
Every time I want to fly back to Manila, I will wait two semesters & see if I still miss it.
Every time I want to move apartments, I will wait two years & see if I still feel like moving. 


*something unnecessary: not food, water, gas, bills, rent, ( cigarettes), (coffee).


It's so easy to just diagnose myself with "A.D.D." & use that as a crutch for why I am the way I am, why I do the things I do. I feel like everyone seems to claim A.D.D. these days, but there's just so much being thrown at us, so much going on, of course we're having trouble paying attention to one thing at a time & wanting to do everything at once, immediately! The truth is, most things will always be there waiting, so there's no real need to rush. We've become this whole generation whose condition it is to be instantly gratified. & I've been molded into this intensely needy, bratty, volatile freak. Kiiinda wanna change that.

This is going to be quite the challenge, but I'm so down I'm up for it.

4 comments:

  1. So proud of you!!!

    -FiSHiE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous29/7/11 15:48

    IT'S CALLED PATIENCE......................

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, that is part of it. obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. delayed gratification. patience. self-control. resisting impulses. sticking things out. earning rather than just getting.

    ReplyDelete