3.18.2012

///TELLER///

Surely I'm not alone when I say music has always played an immeasurable & important role in my life. Like a friend that is never not there, who caters unconditionally (cheesyanalogiesdotcom); it has nurtured, comforted, & enlivened me. But only lately has it been presenting itself as a truly inspirational tool that propels me to be constructively creative. I've definitely painted, written, & drawn to music before, but undoubtedly highasfuck on a myriad of bad chemicals, so I can't say that was me, definitively, with clear mind. It's been nice creating things lately without having previously doused my soul with negadrugs I'd hoped would provide me with an ephemeral, superficial "high." As the homie profoundly stated the other night, "Being sober is like being high all the time." That's exactly it. After years & years & years of intoxication & the disillusionment of false-happy illusions, the freshness that sobriety brings is just incredible. It's this clarity you never even knew was possible, even though we were all given it the moment we came to be. &, with that being said, it's almost as if I had to go through that junkie stage in order to reach this new perspective on sobriety, because I'm pretty sure in my early teens when I was still drug-ignorant, life didn't seem this blissful. Juxtaposition really does matter when it comes to realizing & appreciating certain perspectives, in other words: experience. It's exactly like that one Blackalicious track said:
summer days more likely that you notice breeze
winter days more likely that you notice heat
when i'm warm more likely that you notice me
in the dark it's more likely that you notice light
in the light more likely that you notice night
hungry more appreciation for that meal
dead broke more appreciation for that grill
a bad day'll make you really notice one that's good
& that'll make things a little better understood
The homie Zeroh recently released a project simply & perfectly labeled + + + +, & it inspired me to make him a little gratitude gift. If it weren't for listening to this album, I likely wouldn't have remembered the existence of paper fortune tellers that so often punctuated my playtimes as a wee child. This one found its roots in the music, the positive vibrations, & the urge to make creative use of all these Whole Foods paper bags I've accumulated.
(thanks to instant associations planted in my brain, I drew a pitchfork instead of a carbon atom for 666)
& this is another WF paper bag project I've started & am still working on:
I'll post more photos of this one once I'm finished, it's safe to assume I've many layers to go yet.

I plan to do a Whole Series with these bags, so if you have any blandly lying around beneath the kitchen sink or behind the rubbish, feel free to drop 'em off!
10000010
z e r o h


fortune teller - for tune teller - for tune, tell her

1 comment:

  1. i love that lil' kid in you.

    need to see you love, have your birthday pressie waiting for you x

    ReplyDelete