10.19.2010

///BTSTU///



so don't try & fuck me about
I recovered this track from my pleasing-at-the-time past, apparently I put it on my Myspace playlist several months ago & haven't tweaked it since. I'm not sure how that webspace became so nonfunctional when, to think, my entire 2005 living in gloomy Auckland, New Zealand revolved around it. Retrospectively a very satisfying time of my life when I could change the colors of every aspect of my profile layout twice daily to reflect my deep & meaningful moodswings. I held some of my most intellectually intimate conversations with strangers via our respective comment boxes. This sounds stranger than it was. But I had to evolve & follow my friends or I'd be left with the spammers & creepsters that've now taken over Myspace. I graduated from comment boxes to wall-writing & am now retired, seldom responding to people through private message. I'M SO MATURE WID IT.


Listening to the playlist now, surprised I'm not cringing at the sound of a single choice.

  1. Mystic Bounce - Madlib [this song reminds me of eLisha & we'd speak about how we could listen to this song endlessly without tiring of it, still true]
  2. Window Seat - Erykah Badu [I went fucking insane the first half of this year & needed a break from everything & everyone in LA, so I booked the next flight out.. to southeast Asia]
  3. Out My Mind, Just In Time - Erykah Badu [this album's release coincided with its mirror image.. my personal life--a recovering undercover overlover]
  4. Let It Fall - Lykke Li [I bought this album on vinyl & randomly one day this song popped into my head & has echoed till today--happiness awaits, my tears aren't all shed yet]
  5. Basic Space - The XX [my brother always brings a plethora of new cds to the Philippines to share with me--last trip I saw him he introduced me to The XX starting with Basic Space, we listened to the album on loop the whole month we were there]
  6. Islands [Nosaj Thing Remix] - The XX [of course I had to throw this in there, sounding like an alien love song of hopeless monogamy]
  7. BTSTU - Jai Paul [I fell in love the instant I heard this, THIS IS NO LIE--it's soft & oh sooo hard, I actually only realized the lyrics about a hundred listens later]
  8. Paris Nights/New York Mornings - Corinne Bailey Rae [pretty sure I have loved & will always love anything Corinne Bailey Rae creates--this track makes me want to dance circles in the rain, a kind of jubilance I might find in Paris]
  9. Warwick Avenue - Duffy [love singing along to this--annoyed right now hearing the lyrics resonate with my completely unbearable heart-wrenching romantic encounters]
  10. No Mo' - Red Astaire [charming swedish Cohen introduced me to his favorite dj/producer in 2005 & I think he can easily be anyone's most favored if only they heard him--it would be a dream to hear this drop at a club & dance my ass off for a satisfying one minute & forty-five seconds]
  11. Can't Hold On - M.E.D. [I fell in love with this guy named M.E.D. when I heard this hook 'boy how many times have I told you/you can't hang onto the past'--then like a year or so later he was the host at some cosy hiphop event & attempted to buy me a vodka cranberry at the bar while I found out his real name was Nick]
  12. Almost Blue - Chet Baker [I stumbled across the website for the film Let's Get Lost a while back & became obsessed with the trailer, repeatedly stopping & rewinding to write down every other line I seemed to relate to--this was the opening song & I had the serious blues]
  13. Summer 78 - Yann Tiersen [fuck I can't even recall how I came across this elegantly tragic piece--but I will get down on my knees & pray when I hear piano pieces such as this, I can't help myself]
  14. On the Nature of Daylight - Max Richter [Elías would play this album for us lying on my old apartment carpet floor when we snorted ketamine for an entire summer--some of my most cherished memories are the faraway journeys I went on while listening to this song]
From this, one can gather I was all about dreams, drugs, drama, drunkenness, & dreariness. Several months on, only the first & last are true.

No comments:

Post a Comment