10.12.2010

///CHIRICO///

"..inspired by the introspective feelings evoked by travel."
The Melancholy of Departure. Even my father admitted to airplanes rendering him a tad bit more emotional than usual. Whenever I watch films on planes, even if they're not particularly sad ones, I'll find myself shedding a tear or six. I'll find myself scrolling to the saddest possible songs on my iPod & not caring if people around me see me cry, they probably assume I've just left my boyfriend & won't see him for another eleven years. But I don't have a boyfriend. I have a girlfriend & her name is Elías. It's odd that I am still so drawn to long distance relationships when they're almost always synonymous with long term pain. But I guess I wouldn't have this strange affinity if Los Angeles offered me something with more flesh & less plastic.

Is it or is it not true that no one can hurt you more than someone you love. Love is probably one of the most painful, powerful, & pleasurable things one can experience. I'd hate to quote him but it was actually Ja Rule that told me, "Love is pain." I can't believe I strayed from the topic I originally wanted to discuss & started writing about love. So gay. There was just a painting that needed to be shared & I felt it needed accompanying text.

There is something inexplicably deep about paintings, every stroke handcrafted with its own statement. Strokes are to a painting what sentences are to books. & the microscopic voids betwixt are what tell the stories.

The Kiss
Lichtenstein 1964

Gare Montparnasse (The Melancholy of Departure)
Chirico 1914

Les Amants
Magritte 1928
Afterglow IV
Schreckengost

No comments:

Post a Comment