10.07.2010

///GEORGIA///

My daddy, melancholic.
I left my home in Georgia/
Headed for the Frisco bay/
Cos I got nothin' to live for/
& nothin's gonna come my way/
Sittin' on the dock of the bay/
Watchin' the tide roll away/
[I remember driving through the South Island countryside, walls of infinite green & a roof of impenetrable blue. Ethan & I had purchased a bunch of motown & golden oldie discs to keep our ears company during the long scenic ride. This song came on & you seemed pleasantly astounded but at the same time sad, like you were reminded of something deeply missed. We all sang along to the song; you, me, mama, & Ethan in a charming sort of harmony only the most close-knit of families could pull off. Music like this always seemed pretty capable of easing the tension during a petty argument. I miss you]

Mama, memorable.
He's leavin'/
On that midnight train to Georgia/
Said he's goin' back/
To a simpler place in time/
I'd rather live in his world/
Than live without him in mine/
[I actually choked with tears listening to this song right now, I didn't even realize how much it meant to me. You've been through so much, we've been through so much. I could never forget the way you sang this song. Your voice had the power to hit me just as hard as Gladys' did. Truly talented female singers have always been able to send an otherworldly shiver through my body & make little wells of my eyes. It's some indescribable yet relevant emotion I could never quite place my finger on & I'm guessing the first time I felt this was listening to you. All your favorite songs have stuck with me to this day & affect me so uncontrollably whenever I hear them. Sometimes I won't even notice a song playing & I'll get unexpectedly emotional. It'll sneak up on me, replacing or elaborating my current feeling.]

Me, meandering.
Either way I wonder sometimes/
About the outcome/
Of a still verdictless life/
Am I living it right/
Why, why, Georgia, why/
[Story of my life thus far]






No comments:

Post a Comment