10.10.2010

///HIDES///

I've always found pleasure in perusing interior design images & experiencing such design in real life. I famously state that I would travel to a city just to stay in a particular hotel & not even bother with the city outside. I am a huge fan of hotels but since I've not the means to afford such exorbitant luxuries, I opt for the cheaper option of researching them endlessly.

As of late, I've become suddenly unhappy with the uncomfortable blandness which is my living/dining area. It currently consists of three pieces of furniture very poorly placed, everything black & white. I no longer have a desk because I somehow managed to ruin it completely upon numerous assemblage attempts. I'm not really fond of Ikea anymore anyway, it was a simple & affordable novelty four & a half years ago when I first moved to LA & needed some furniture fast. But now I've discovered the wonders of Amazon & overstock.com [& all the designer furniture stores across LA where all I can do is look]. Ikea is wonderful but its products aren't built to last & it shows. Buy there if you only need something 'in the meantime' while you save up for that Ettore Sottsass bookcase/decorative piece/room divider.

This probably isn't normal, but I just spent about two hours glorifying.. rugs, of all things. I'm tempted to use the term 'hide coverings' but that may come off as redundant when it really isn't. The site I was windowshopping on this time was that of Kyle Bunting. His rugs are sooo delicious in both color & design, I dream to afford customized ones for my living room & bedroom one day.

The monochromatic ones I picture in more muted environments like modern minimalistic loft-type spaces. Even though they are but one hue, they still have the added interest of the actual patchwork of the designs. There is a kaleidoscopic earthy toned one I can see in a southern family home or a cabin up in snowy Tahoe. Some are extravagant & exotic, fit for the expansive living room of a Sedona mansion. Others are worthy of an art museum wall, if you look at them wholly from afar they seem like abstract works of art. The green ones I imagine being perfect for a chill out garden-view sunroom, as if nonchalantly tending a pasture in the middle of your city dwelling. I'm probably brimming on being entirely too obsessed with these Bunting rugs so I'll stop here.

[& I know these ain't no five million dollar Pearl Carpets of Baroda, it's just a site I randomly chanced upon this evening which happened to be of quality. && please click on the images to enlarge, they're infinitely more tempting up close.]
















No comments:

Post a Comment